Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Are we losing interest ? What's happening ?

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Old 18th Sep 2021, 21:43

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Greetings, as a regular visitor to this forum over many, many years I am noticing a real decline in what is available for me to read.

Every morning without hesitation, I log online and look at a couple of forums that I have an interest in and try to keep up-to-date with all things aviation.

Is it just me or is there a real decline in the people using these forums and therefore the amount of information we are sharing ?

To me, it looks like everybody is just losing interest, have got too old and are not flying or they have changed to other interests and hobbies.

Hopefully I am wrong and it is just a "slow period" in the life of the forum but what do others think ? Should I be looking at other avenues to feed my obsessions.

Old 18th Sep 2021, 21:46

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Maybe pilots are finally getting a life?
Old 18th Sep 2021, 23:23

Received 167 Likes on 94 Posts
Facebook is the death of forums.

Bush Flyers Down under for one example, has over 13,000 members.

GA pilots has 7,000 members.

Functionality is the key, for example if I like what you’ve written and want to show that I agree with it, here I have to respond to the post, whereas on Facebook I can simply like it.

Plus, the Facebook groups are run by people who are passionate about aviation, not just a company that makes money from advertising.

There’s also another forum out there that has gone from thousands of members to just a handful of peanuts posting a few times a week. The only reason why that one survives is because Facebook allows all users to report bad behaviour easily, so the power-hungry types are soon outed and blocked, so they go elsewhere to spread their hidden agendas.

Video killed the radio star.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 00:01

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
That's because we have been Gagged or Banned, I'm not allowed in the Airline Forum after 32 years a member and much longer a pilot, apparently because I talked about Covid too much, which is what the relevant threads are about and the discussion continues on. You work out for yourself what is happening.

P.S also it hasn't gone un-noticed that if you post anything with even the slightest bit of anti Qantas in it, you can expect a much higher level of scrutiny.

Last edited by Xeptu; 19th Sep 2021 at 00:38.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 00:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
That's because we have been Gagged or Banned, I'm not allowed in the Airline Forum after 32 years a member and much longer a pilot, apparently because I talked about Covid too much, which is what the relevant threads are about and the discussion continues on. You work out for yourself what is happening.
There's some weird control sh1t going on behind the scenes of Proon! Be interesting to know who/what has got to them!
Old 19th Sep 2021, 01:50
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan next year, but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. But I still refuse to ever have anything to do with that place!
Old 19th Sep 2021, 02:24

Originally Posted by mcoates
Greetings, as a regular visitor to this forum over many, many years I am noticing a real decline in what is available for me to read.

Every morning without hesitation, I log online and look at a couple of forums that I have an interest in and try to keep up-to-date with all things aviation.

Is it just me or is there a real decline in the people using these forums and therefore the amount of information we are sharing ?

To me, it looks like everybody is just losing interest, have got too old and are not flying or they have changed to other interests and hobbies.

Hopefully I am wrong and it is just a "slow period" in the life of the forum but what do others think ? Should I be looking at other avenues to feed my obsessions.
Your observation is almost certainly correct.
Once upon a time you could be reasonably confident that your interlocutor was , in fact , an aviator , or at least had some connection with the industry. Some highly competent and well informed individuals have contributed over the years. Tdracer comes to mind.
Now the site is a forum for know-nothings , wannabes and people with a generalised grievance towards life the universe and everything.
The thread on “QF mandates Vaccine “ comes to mind.
This is no longer a Professional Pilot forum in any meaningful sense.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 02:28

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts
It could also have something to do with the fact that there is not much aviation taking place. There are not many accidents or incidents to speculate on and no significant aviation events taking place. Jet Blast is always good for a laugh and Military Aviation always has something going on so there is still a bit happening.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 03:24

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
It could also have something to do with the fact that there is not much aviation taking place.
True, but here in sunny Queensland at the benign end of the southern weather systems and COVID restrictions, my wife and I flew a half hour flight this morning from Archerfield to The Kooralbyn Resort for an excellent buffet breakfast in silky smooth conditions over interesting scenery - just a little smoky, that's all. On the way, we saw 5 hot-air balloons in the valley to the west of Beaudesert, presumably all with paying passengers on board.

Yesterday, the Straddie Fly-in Breakfast had a large turnout of 40+ planes looking at webtrak and most of them from Southport. So flying is happening in some places.

My point is that here, I feel I can offer facts if I know them and the audience will comprehend them. On facebook such facts are ignored because of a mostly overwhelmingly ignorant and uncomprehending audience who require that I only make vacuous opinions in short sentences of overweening positivity.

Last edited by Possum1; 19th Sep 2021 at 07:01.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 04:01

Received 294 Likes on 123 Posts
Here you can let loose without getting the sack. I’ve seen too many get way too emotional on facey or the insta, resulting in afternoon tea with the human waste dept.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 05:01

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts
I think it is a reflection of the failed state of aviation in Australia- especially GA.

With the CASA rule re write adding to complexity and cost this result is bound to happen.

We could be world leaders- but for that you need people with vision and get up and go.

As I have said before- I despair for future generations!
Old 19th Sep 2021, 07:53

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoates
Perhaps they have been driven away, in despair, by the inability of people to know the difference between 'hangar', for your aircraft, or 'hanger', for your jacket.

The rather common misuse of 'loose', as in your engine may fall off, when the word should actually be 'lose', meaning your engine has already fallen off, probably adds to the despair!

😂
Old 19th Sep 2021, 07:58

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I too despair for future generations and not just for aviation. I'm glad to be in the last chapter and not the first. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but how did my generation get from no nuclear in Australia ever, to building nuclear powered submarines, without public consultation. I wonder if the town of Kimba knew that when they agreed to become a nuclear waste dump,
Wait What!!!... what on earth are we letting our bureaucracy get away with.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 08:23

Let's face it this site is boring and full of key board warriors
Old 19th Sep 2021, 08:55

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts
Sure the Covid thing has changed the nature of our worries but, at the end of the day, the site can only be the sum of the efforts put in by the membership, I suggest ?
Old 19th Sep 2021, 09:32

Received 213 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
Yes but sadly not for the better. You get a better conversation on a forum like prune. On facebook you get everyone from learned poster to troll.
I prefer this type of forum but they will die out.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 09:46

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuart Sutcliffe
The rather common misuse of 'loose', as in your engine may fall off, when the word should actually be 'lose', meaning your engine has already fallen off, probably adds to the despair!

😂
If your engine has already fallen off it is not lose, it is lost.
Lose would be used by someone enquiring as to whether your engine was lost.

Maybe people just need to loosen up.

Old 19th Sep 2021, 10:07

Received 167 Likes on 94 Posts
Maybe it's because Sunfish has left.

He's copied and posted this thread over here:

Are We Losing Interest? - AUS/NZ General Discussion - Recreational Flying

Old 19th Sep 2021, 10:20

Originally Posted by Xeptu

P.S also it hasn't gone un-noticed that if you post anything with even the slightest bit of anti Qantas in it, you can expect a much higher level of scrutiny.
Same here, I have been zeroed last year without any warning or explanation. “ I was annoying” they say.. xD No empathy or care at all towards the members.. Shame.
Also you can barely say something without someone attacking you or criticizing you. Lots of snowflakes and closed minded people.. A bit of a turn off for me.
I’m now pretty much only active on the technical forum as some nice fellows members are always there to answer my queries.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 10:24

The forum's layout style and features are quite old school compared to what's trending and doesn't really appeal to the new generation (although I prefer it because I'm slow). Also, if you post an epic post then the young really can't be arsed hence the term they invented - TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read).

With all the social media competition out there I don't think this forum will ever grab the attention of newcomers like days of old. I think it's become a bit like a retirement village - full of nostalgia, free expert advice, opinions on everything, and repetitive proof that age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm all the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.