Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Oporto

Old 13th May 2021, 11:17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oporto

Now that it has finally been announced that the UEFA European Champions League Final between Chelsea and Manchester City will take place in Oporto (OPO) on Saturday 29th May I wonder what the transport arrangements will be for the approx 12,000 UK based supporters?.

It would be nice to see UK airlines given a monopoly on the supporters special flights,. perhaps Easyjet from LGW and Jet2 + TUI from MAN.
Because of the relatively short flying times involved it should be possible for each UK based aircraft to do two outbound and two return trips, this should ease the aircraft parking situation at OPO.

Does anybody have any thoughts or information
Old 13th May 2021, 11:32

Easy are doing a couple from Manchester
Old 13th May 2021, 11:40

At the moment it won't matter if the final is indeed in main land Portugal as currently NO None EU person is allowed to visit even after the 17th for none essential travel.
Old 13th May 2021, 12:20

Define "essential". You can bet that the heads of the various international football associations and commercial partners will not be missing their annual beano courtesy of Uefa. Indeed, one of the main reasons being cited why the final is being played at the Estadio do Dragao and not Wembley is Uefa being unable to agree VIP quarantine arrangements with the UK Government.
Old 13th May 2021, 18:31

Ryanair has put some on:

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/r...-league-final/

£450 round trip at the moment from Manchester, compared to £45 for the same trip a week later. Supply and demand I guess
Old 13th May 2021, 20:01

Ms Vieira da Silva said that a series of restrictions would apply.

There will be a 12,000 limit on numbers and tickets will be for named people in designated seats, which will spaced in line with health guidelines.

Fans will have to fly in on charters, arriving and leaving "on the same day" in what Ms Vieira da Silva described as "a bubble situation" - passing through a separate zone at the airport, as well as having to take a coronavirus test before travelling. (from BBC )

The fact that the UK will allow non-essential travel to Portugal doesn't mean that they will let us in.
Old 13th May 2021, 23:21

Noxegon

Similar storey with EZY from LGW, extra flights on Friday & Sunday with stupid prices but I suppose supporters are buying them.
Old 14th May 2021, 01:26

There will be 6 flights from Jet2.com from MAN - all chartered. 5 x 800’s and the A321.

There will also be 4 flights to GDN on the Wednesday for United supporters. Again 3 x 800’s and the A321 - all chartered.
Old 14th May 2021, 05:15

Its a long bus ride from Gdansk to Porto ;-)
Old 14th May 2021, 05:45

They are for the United match on Wednesday night
Old 14th May 2021, 06:02

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Additionally it seems the Portugese authorities have had a change of heart. Lets see what happens on Monday moring!!

Portugal has a change of heart
Old 14th May 2021, 11:51

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Maybe it's me but if I was a Chelsea or Manchester City fan I would not be happy with flight in bussed to ground and flight out straight after

Part of the fun with away trips either domestically or internationally is having a session before and win or lose after. and good natured banter with the locals

and certainly if there was a restricted ballot where you could not guarantee being with your mates

Watch it at home in the supporters clubs would be the best way. Or even large screen at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad.

If there us a non EU citizen restriction don't see how they could justify letting in 12000 uk citizens

Old 14th May 2021, 12:32

the non-EU restriction has had exemptions for a while. Japan, Australia and others have been exempt. The UK now gets that exemption in Portugal. France also removed the essential travel requirement. The restriction was based on the virus threat. That threat is less from the UK now. Perfectly justifiable.

I would imagine with this confirmation that Brits can visit from 17th there won’t be a need for these specific rules for the match.