Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Quotas and the potential for erroneous application.

Wikiposts
Search
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Search this Thread

Old 12th May 2021, 02:59

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Whilst this does not directly relate to aviation it does highlight some of the potential negative aspects of government enforced employment 'quotas'.
Of course this could not happen in our airline industry, could it?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...port/100133594

Whilst I am not surprised it is the sort of corrupted policy being stuffed down our throats. Says allot about the QPS as well.

CC
Old 12th May 2021, 06:48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds familiar to Virgins statement a few years ago to have 50% females on cadet courses.
Old 12th May 2021, 07:39

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds to me like someone got a speeding ticket from the QPS
Old 12th May 2021, 09:15

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nah Oz, the article speaks to me more about corporate cultural corruption and the danger of "quotas" promoted by jingoistic politicians and their sycophant public servants. Or even airline CEO's.

CC
Old 12th May 2021, 10:49

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh I agree, it’s almost too good to be true that story. I feel sorry for the people who are being hung out to dry for enacting the policy of those in charge.
Gone are the days of getting a job on merit. I just hope the ones who passed after not having the correct aptitude to apply just proved the application system is faulty and not that they had any assistance to pass the course. It’s not new however, I saw it along time ago when I applied for the QPS. Life just took me to a different place (altitude).
Old 12th May 2021, 23:14

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Whst is equally important to note is that despite not meeting the recruitment criteria, most successfully passed the course. Modern recruiting processes have been hijacked by 22yo human resources managers and psyc tests with little regard for giving an individual a go or old fashioned common sense,
I know of MANY pilots and other professionals who have not got past computer based processing for jobs at Coles, Woolies, Auspost etc on the basis of a nebulous personality profile etc.
There is a section of the community who will never be given opportunity for a start in life because of these flawed and rigid processes and I think that as equally wrong.

Last edited by The Banjo; 12th May 2021 at 23:34.
Old 12th May 2021, 23:53

Received 331 Likes on 125 Posts
It's social engineering by stealth steered by psuedo-science. People should be allowed to pursue their chosen profession without hindrance but FFS let boys choose what they want, girls choose what they want and if it's not exactly 50/50 in every profession so be it. Is the same quota system being enforced on the nursing profession? Or early childhood care?
Old 13th May 2021, 00:33

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts
The comment that they didn't pass a portion of the assessment but still got through training is because once you get through assessment and into the academy, it's very difficult to get rid of people. Most police and military training is like this.

The excuse being "they passed the assessment so they are trainable". If the trainee is having trouble the instructor is blamed, not the student. So students who don't meet the grade in training get signed off and then the problem is passes down the line.
Old 13th May 2021, 01:52

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Climb150
The comment that they didn't pass a portion of the assessment but still got through training is because once you get through assessment and into the academy, it's very difficult to get rid of people. Most police and military training is like this.
I can’t comment on the police but that’s just not correct for military training. 30%+ failure rate for RAAF pilots course. If you don’t make the grade you don’t pass.
Old 13th May 2021, 04:19

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone who has had anything to do with either state or federal public service knows this has been going on for at least the last twenty years. The public sector , well those in management and their masters like to see themselves as progressive leaders in such things as women in management roles, or diversity in general. They see it as their duty to take the lead and be ahead of the private sector. Lead by example if you like.

now you won’t find written instructions or definitive quotas , it is all done with a nod and a wink. But it seems from what has been happening recently, that such quotas will be mandatory in both the private and public sector. Companies already have had mandatory reporting of number of females introduced. To the Workplace Gender Equality Agency. How Orwellian.

https://www.wgea.gov.au/what-we-do/reporting

Old 13th May 2021, 04:41

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Slezy9
I can’t comment on the police but that’s just not correct for military training. 30%+ failure rate for RAAF pilots course. If you don’t make the grade you don’t pass.
Pilot is probably the only exception.
Old 13th May 2021, 06:18

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
What we're talking about is the difference between equality of outcome versus equality of opportunity.

We all want equality of opportunity. Unfortunately there is a belief that equality of outcome is the same thing.

Equality of outcome, as is the current hiring policy for large organisations and governement, is foolish and dangerous.

Last edited by alphacentauri; 13th May 2021 at 10:56.
Old 13th May 2021, 10:01

Received 109 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by alphacentauri
What were talking about is the difference between equality of outcome versus equality of opportunity.

We all want equality of opportunity. Unfortunately there is a belief that equality of outcome is the same thing.

Equality of outcome, as is the current hiring policy for large organisations and governement, is foolish and dangerous.
Very well said!
Old 13th May 2021, 10:26
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts
I have heard it said more than once that the only things quotas ensure is equality of mediocrity.

Make of that what you will.
Old 14th May 2021, 02:36

Received 203 Likes on 92 Posts
30%+ failure rate for RAAF pilots course. If you don’t make the grade you don’t pass.
Well, back in the late 60s there was an applicant whose father was VERY high up in the French embassy system, and we were using Mirages, so this lad was accepted onto pilot course.

At 1FTS he was seen to be pretty tragic, but the hierarchy said they didn't want the wrath to descend on them, so they said to pass him on to 2FTS and let them scrub him. At 2FTS, they thought "Holy cats, this guy is tragic, but he got through 1FTS, so let's pass him and send him to choppers where he will be under supervision". At 5 Sqn he was seen as a complete goose and was sidelined as much as possible. But when he was told to plan a detachment away, he took the planning proforma, which included ROFOR and TAFOR. He went to one of the instructors and asked what it meant. The instructor told him it was oil for the main rotor and oil for the tail rotor, and he would have to go to a hangar far away to collect it. Off he went.
The instructor calls the hangar, tells them to fill a 5-gallon drum and a 1-gallon drum with water and mark them ROFOR and TAFOR. The goose believed it all, and took the drums away, followed by stifled laughter..

He has many stories. Another was looking at the Huey's N1 gauge, and asking "What is that?" He was supposed to be a qualified pilot. The captain said "That tells you the RPM of the tail rotor." He believed it.
Old 14th May 2021, 02:50

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
A (now retired), very experienced driver once told a very junior driver (me) this nugget of wisdom...."Find the dumbest, most incompetent driver here. That's the standard the company has set. You only have to be better than that one person. If you reckon you are, you've got a job for life."

Of course, no one, certainly no professional want's to 'just' pass the tests, but by the same token, no true professional would want the bar lowered so they can ace them either...