Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Opinions vary.

Old 10th Apr 2021, 05:50

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Opinions vary.

Part of a comment I got the other day - Agree? or not??

"Sully's opinion - doesn't count for much
I haven't bent anything, during my 36 years career. No accidents, no incidents, no violations, in any of the 47 countries I have operated or seven ATPLs I hold.

I am going to go against the grain.

Sully is no hero.

I have flown out of JFK and Newark, as a 747 Captain and First Officer.

I have also encountered flocks of birds, ducks, geese.

The difference is, I didn't fly through them. I either ducked under or climbed over the top of them

There is information on the depth of a flock of geese, studies done in Canada. Not hard to dive under or climb over, IF you got your head on a swivel.

BUT, if your are picking your nose, sightseeing over New York, admiring your necktie and mustache in the reflection of the side windscreen, basking in the warm glow of the morning Sun, my FO's got it (until he hasn't) . . .

Next food for thought. The Ace of the Base, God's Gift to Aviation could have easily traded airspeed for altitude, to put the aircraft into a better position to glide to the nearest suitable airport. Unless it was a catastrophic failure, turbine blades tearing through the cowlings and cabin, one or both engines produced thrust, even residual thrust, until they were secured. That residual thrust would have carried him further and help gain even 1,500 feet.

But, peering down on New York, didn't see the first goose, listening to radio chatter, bang, bang-bang-bang, "Oh ****!" Assholes and elbows.

That is probably how it really went. BUT, America always needs a hero.

He put a perfectly good aeroplane into the water.

I read the accident report. I saw the movie. I saw his interviews . . . Bull****!"

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 11th Apr 2021 at 02:09. Reason: Since Bendalot seems unable to find the Quote button, I’ll do it for him
Old 10th Apr 2021, 06:03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bahahahahaaaa,

this is going to be AWESOME....
Old 10th Apr 2021, 06:05
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I could be that good as the pilot making the criticism. Alas I’m human.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 06:46

Since when did it become a competition?

Plane hits birds, guy lands plane on water, no one dies. = hero. Whether it was his fault or not, once he hit those birds, he did what he was paid to do and everybody lived.
I call bull****, I doubt any pilot would have written that statement and I also can’t believe a pilot could be so up themselves.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 07:35

Received 205 Likes on 68 Posts
Yep, same as the Azores fuel exhaustion pilots. Yes they may have mishandled a fuel leak which led to the fuel exhaustion but to then glide the aircraft to a successful landing was a fine piece of airmanship and they deserved all the awards they were subsequently given. As for the comment above, this kind of pilot is one of those 'sky gods' that we all know and love and make flying a bloody nightmare. 'I would have expertly avoided the geese'....... yea right! No doubt he will say 'I was aways someone who commanded respect and people enjoyed flying with' totally missing the glazed over eyes of his offsider as he regaled them with stories of how he had never had an accident due to his superior flying skills.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 07:52

Originally Posted by Bend alot

seven ATPLs I hold.

I have flown out of JFK and Newark, as a 747 Captain and First Officer.

I have also encountered flocks of birds, ducks, geese.

The difference is, I didn't fly through them. I either ducked under or climbed over the top of them

There is information on the depth of a flock of geese, studies done in Canada. Not hard to dive under or climb over, IF you got your head on a swivel.
Flying you Flight Sim out of JFK doesn't count champ.
The fact you make such a claim shows you have never flown a heavy jet in real life, probably not even a plane actually. Just out of interest, how do you simulate between being a Captain and F/O? Do you just move you chair to the left or right 1 or 2 feet of your computer screen? Do you change your epulets as well? Do you get your mum or sister( or even your Dad in these new woke times) to bring you coffee and pretend she is a stewardess? (be aware, anything other than just coffee is probably illegal in ALL 7 ATPL juristictions you hold a licence in). Which ATPL to do operate on? How does the regulator conduct ramp checks? Do you keep your bedroom door closed and locked in accordance with security regulations? If so, how does your mum open the door to bring your coffee? When you go to the bathroom, do you just pause the game or leave it on auto pilot and hope nothing goes wrong?
Is your real name PilotAmeriah?

So many questions, can you please share your expertise and knowledge for us all to learn.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 08:04

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Very good post TPE - but to have my handle attached to your comment is my only concern - To Be Very Clear to everyone - I just repeated what was sent to me.

I did not read much more than I posted (but since have 2 more communications - not read) but simply replied "Exactly how big is your watch".
Old 10th Apr 2021, 08:21

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
A 36-year career with ‘no incidents’? Statistically possible, I guess.

Quite a few of us might’ve started out a bit arrogant and dumb, but after a career of that length, you’d hope a pilot would’ve gained a bit more wisdom than to come out with some of the comments in that quote.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 08:31

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
7 ATPLs...

is this the same guy from the Max thread that can contort his 10 1/2 onto the stab trim wheel??

sounds like it.

I wonder how many aircraft he has ditched and everyone survived in order to have such a superior opinion!

must have been fun for the pax when he has outmanoeuvred birds!
Old 10th Apr 2021, 08:55

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thats a post for the Pprune Hall of Fame
Old 10th Apr 2021, 09:01

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts
Bendy surely you are feeding the troll? What a prat.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 09:26

Received 77 Likes on 34 Posts
On top of the many other masturbatory aspects of the quote, can I recommend a bit more experience? I have 51 years of flying, from more than just EWR and JFK and a handful of ATPLs. One thing I have learned is to never fly under water fowl. Their natural predators hit from above, and their natural threat response is to dive.

I would really like to see some idiot seeing birds in time to do anything other than utter a bad word, and then trying to jam a 747 under a flock of geese.

The last time I flew TWA I had to have TWA coffee because they didn’t have any TWA tea. Now this guy comes along...
Old 10th Apr 2021, 09:33

and I also can’t believe a pilot could be so up themselves.
yeah but he says he’s a 747 pilot.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 09:47

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Brilliant! This has to be a wind up.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 09:58

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Just out of curiosity have any of the naysayers flown out of LGA themselves? Not that I either agree or disagree with the OP
Old 10th Apr 2021, 10:06

Originally Posted by Green.Dot
Bahahahahaaaa,

this is going to be AWESOME....
.......and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you CAN catch fish with sh1t on a stick!
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grabs popcorn and cracks open another wine.

This will be good......
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:57

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts
Not hard to dive under or climb over, IF you got your head on a swivel.
If that statement were true, birdstrikes would be rare. No pilot with more than a couple of hundred hours wrote that.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:58

I wish we were all as good as you.....

What a flog!
Old 10th Apr 2021, 12:05

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Richard. Do you have another book out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.