Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Channel 9 Under Investigation MAX Promo

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Old 3rd Apr 2021, 01:10
SRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of a matter of interest has anybody seen this promo?

I am interested in finding out who the panel of experts are on this program and if any of them are in fact 737 Max qualified.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 01:16

It’s just a rehashed version of the 60 minutes story from the other year. It will just be fear, fear and more fear. Fear = Clicks and Viewers.

Old 3rd Apr 2021, 01:58

Received 203 Likes on 67 Posts
Well I am sorry but Boeing deserves every bit of bad publicity they get around this. Cover ups, profit before people and lack of oversight combined with bad design, bad information and bad training. In this day and age it should not take 360 deaths and two hull loses to correct a problem that everyone in the design team seemed to know about and took a ‘fingers crossed’ approach to it.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 02:39

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Well I am sorry but Boeing deserves every bit of bad publicity they get around this. Cover ups, profit before people and lack of oversight combined with bad design, bad information and bad training. In this day and age it should not take 360 deaths and two hull loses to correct a problem that everyone in the design team seemed to know about and took a ‘fingers crossed’ approach to it.

I guess Southwest Airlines have a slightly higher opinion [and knowledge] than you of the 737Max as they've just placed an order over 200 of them...
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 02:49

Received 162 Likes on 83 Posts
Like most of the later 737’s, the Max is a result of Southwest’s requirements for a 737.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 02:59

Hey TBM, the 737-Max as it is NOW may well be a perfectly acceptable aircraft NOW, I am guessing Southwest would have got quite a discount. It does not excuse rushing a substandard aircraft into service knowing that the exact problem that killed many people existed. I am saying Boeing deserves to be held account for that, any other hull loses and they will be out of business so I am in no doubt they have now put the money into proper development of this model........ well here's hoping anyway.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 03:31

Received 322 Likes on 175 Posts
Well on first glance this "Under Investigation" show hosted by Channel Nine's Liz Hayes (of 60 Minutes fame) appears to be of the same ilk, just tabloid sensationalism designed to attract viewers through emotion to watch the progressively unpopular medium of commercial TV.

And it seems from the brief promo on this new show it doesn't look to be too different:

Like wheels_down said I think it'll mostly be a rehash of the 60 Minutes fearmongering from 2 years ago, with a brief exclaimer at the end saying something like: Boeing have said they have made safety improvements to the MAX, but our panel of "Experts" still believe there are safety problems you should be concerned about.....

And on their panel of experts it looks like self proclaimed expert "Captain" Byron Bailey will be there. He's passionately shouting "If ANYTHING affects the flight controls, pilots MUST know!" (even though Boeing will include MCAS details in manuals now) and probably pontificating expertise (despite never having touched the controls of any model of 737) . Trevor Jensen is there (again having never flown any 737 model). And some guy with a beard whom I'm guessing isn't too qualified on the aircraft either.

The tagline for the episode is "Would you put your family on a 737-MAX?" I dont think there'll be an objective analysis of the incidents and the steps taken to overcome them. I don't think the rectifications completed by Boeing will be explained in a rational manner. There'll be lots of "This is UNSAFE!" and "This could happen again!" thrown about.

And as the promo states, the show will try and capture the audience who've just tuned in for Married At First Sight. Now do you think the typical audience of that show will appreciate thorough, objective and unemotional discussion and aviation technical analysis? No, they want fear, emotion, worry, panic, angry FB comments.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 03:36
SRM

Hey TBM, the 737-Max as it is NOW may well be a perfectly acceptable aircraft NOW, I am guessing Southwest would have got quite a discount. It does not excuse rushing a substandard aircraft into service knowing that the exact problem that killed many people existed. I am saying Boeing deserves to be held account for that, any other hull loses and they will be out of business so I am in no doubt they have now put the money into proper development of this model........ well here's hoping anyway.
I like many have flown and certified for maintenance on large passenger aircraft, L188A ,B727, B767, B767 and all 737 series including the Max.
All these aircraft over the years have had problems, the L118A for instance 3 fatal accidents due whirl mode the aircraft was modified and went to be a very successful airliner and military aircraft with many flying today.
My point is the MAX issue has been resolved,I have personally released 3 aircraft back into service without a defect.
Unqualified people making statements about an aircraft that the have never flown as a pilot or certified as an LAME should keep there opinions to themselves and let aviation professionals look after the MAX.

Last edited by SRM; 3rd Apr 2021 at 04:43.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 04:11

Received 294 Likes on 123 Posts
CASA should come out after this airs exposing these fools and this so called expert advice they are brainwashing the public with.

Fame chasing morons. Wearing the uniform and all says it all really.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 06:46

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts
One of those experts appears to be the ex-Chairman of Air Nauru.

Last edited by chimbu warrior; 3rd Apr 2021 at 06:50. Reason: clarity
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 09:12

Originally Posted by SRM
I like many have flown and certified for maintenance on large passenger aircraft, L188A ,B727, B767, B767 and all 737 series including the Max.
All these aircraft over the years have had problems, the L118A for instance 3 fatal accidents due whirl mode the aircraft was modified and went to be a very successful airliner and military aircraft with many flying today.
My point is the MAX issue has been resolved,I have personally released 3 aircraft back into service without a defect.
Unqualified people making statements about an aircraft that the have never flown as a pilot or certified as an LAME should keep there opinions to themselves and let aviation professionals look after the MAX.

like I say, the 737 Max may now be a perfectly good aircraft. The real story hear is the usual tale of various staff members throughout Boing and the FAA who voiced concerns throughout the certification and design process who were ignored and silenced in the interest of commercial expediency. The coverup was complete when Boing elected to not put any technical information in the manuals about this system despite the concerns voiced stating that it could be potentially catastrophic if MCAS malfunctioned and wasn’t dealt with appropriately. Boeing have now done what they should have done originally, for the lives lost Boeing should take responsibility, the Max will more than likely go on to be very successful but it’s name is forever tarnished and the media will always dramatise things. To be honest I won’t be flying on one for a few years, I just don’t trust Boeing and the FAA, there was a lot of commercial pressure to get this aircraft back in the air, it may prove to be a very successful aircraft but I for one will not be putting my family on one for a couple of years. That is the beauty of choice.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 09:27

HAHAHA TJ, where did they dredge that clown up from ! Apart from once being a pilot,relevance to this particular case. Zero.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 09:53

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mentioning 'Now' and you recognise BOEING have now done what they should have done in the beginning... so when do you think the bad publicity ceases? They have already received 'every bit of bad publicity' there is to receive. It has cost them Billions, lost orders and CEO amongst others. Let's not forget legal proceedings yet to come against some. The MAX has since gone through a rigorous recertification program with the aircraft now cleared to fly.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 10:19
I REALLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
To let Boeing and the FAA off the hook for what has happened would mean that valuable lessons will not be learned.

The initial design and certification process were clearly not of sufficient quality. Res ipso facto.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 10:34

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cost neutral
HAHAHA TJ, where did they dredge that clown up from ! Apart from once being a pilot,relevance to this particular case. Zero.
I would suspect he wasn’t approached, probably the other way around.

Also, relevence may not enter into the equation for some.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 11:27

Received 316 Likes on 121 Posts
The die was cast when one CEO tried to turn Boeing from an engineering company into a "business". Buyer beware. The MCAS is not the only issue that has been uncovered.

How Boeing lost its bearings
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 13:34
I REALLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Quite - 737 Max, 787 structure issues, 767 tanker quality control - it all points to a company in crisis.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 16:16

Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer
The die was cast when one CEO tried to turn Boeing from an engineering company into a "business". Buyer beware. The MCAS is not the only issue that has been uncovered.

How Boeing lost its bearings
excellent article...thanks for sharing
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 19:03

Or the accountants in charge have their chutes packed and ready by the exits. How the managers who made the deliberate decision to conceal the MCAS are avoiding prison is beyond me.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 21:02

Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
I think the real story is how a 1970s tech jet keeps getting new layers of mascara to pass off as new technology.

Not an insignificant list of what’s been grandfathered from the standards of 50 years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.