Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas buys Alliance

Old 4th May 2022, 22:55

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Qantas buys Alliance

Qantas this morning has advised the ASX of the acquisition of 100% of Alliance. Subject to ACCC approval. Didn't see that coming so soon.
Old 4th May 2022, 23:07

Received 112 Likes on 31 Posts
Just what we need. Less competition.

This cannot be good for Australian aviation.

Let’s hope the accc stop this.

Yet another pilot group to play off against each other, further driving down wages…….
Old 4th May 2022, 23:07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkpanther1
Qantas this morning has advised the ASX of the acquisition of 100% of Alliance. Subject to ACCC approval. Didn't see that coming so soon.
I did!! As soon as the ACCC dropped the opposition to Qantas buying us, I knew that the Irishman would make a offer ASAP. From our flight planning procedures to normal operating procedures, Qantas has been creeping in, and I guess that we will have to wear the QF uniform, just like most of the FA's already do. Bring it on, I say!
https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/ap...df02a206a39ff4

Old 4th May 2022, 23:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just don’t ask about staff travel
Old 4th May 2022, 23:26

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
haha, what is it about QQ and staff travel!
Old 4th May 2022, 23:31

Received 162 Likes on 83 Posts
How about a new fleet of Airbus 220 coming their way.
Old 4th May 2022, 23:40
IAW

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Fathom
How about a new fleet of Airbus 220 coming their way.
Only if the pilots accept a C scale below the E jet contract pay! That's how the game works isn't it?
​​
Old 4th May 2022, 23:50

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Aussie Aviator, I assume with that foresight you bought Alliance shares then?
Old 5th May 2022, 00:01

Received 233 Likes on 99 Posts
Qantas this morning has advised the ASX of the acquisition of 100% of Alliance.
I think you mean Qantas intend to purchase.
Two big hurdles to jump. One is shareholder agreement and the trickier ACCC approval.
Old 5th May 2022, 00:41

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Qantas has announced it intends to purchase Alliance Aviation, three years after acquiring a 19.9 per cent stake in the carrier.

The airline said on Thursday that the move, which would see Alliance become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Qantas, would allow it to “better serve the growing resources sector”.

It comes just one month after the ACCC finally cleared Qantas’ stake in the airline, after a three year investigation into its impact on competition.

Alliance currently holds wet-lease agreements with both Qantas and Virgin, for the use of its fleet for regional, charter, and fly-in fly-out operations.

It also comes after Qantas exercised more options under its wet-lease with Alliance in March, for the use of 14 QantasLink-branded Embraer E190s, crewed by Alliance personnel. The agreement offers Qantas options to use up to 18 Alliance E190s under the QantasLink brand.Qantas said its existing agreement with Alliance will continue to operate as normal until any deal is finalised.

Qantas said the remaining 80 per cent share of Alliance would be acquired through a scheme of arrangement, where Alliance shareholders receive Qantas shares worth $4.75 for each share held in Alliance.

This represents a 32 per cent premium to Alliance’s volume weighted average price over the last three months, according to the airline Alliance’s directors have unanimously recommended the scheme, with Chairman Steve Padgett stating the transaction “represents a compelling opportunity for our shareholder to exit the Alliance business following a period of significant industry upheaval, and to realise a strong return on Alliance’s fleet assets”.

Qantas has informed the ACCC of its intentions, and the final deal will require formal approval from the competition watchdog. The deal is also subject to approval by Alliance shareholders.

Qantas purchased a 19.9 per cent stake in Alliance in 2019, and has long-flagged its desire to acquire 100 per cent of carrier.

Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce said acquiring Alliance under the QantasLink brand allows the airline to be more competitive in the fierce regional aviation market.

“Alliance’s fleet of Fokker aircraft are perfect for efficiently serving resources customers in WA and Queensland,” Joyce said.

“They also have a big inventory of spare parts that would significantly extend the practical life of a combined fleet of around almost 70 Fokkers.

“Keeping these aircraft operating reliably for longer than either carrier could achieve themselves will help keep costs down, which is ultimately good news for charter customers,” he said.

“The resources sector continues to grow and any new tender for airline services will be very competitive. It makes sense for us to combine with Alliance to improve the services we can offer, which is a positive for both airlines as well as the travelling public.”
Old 5th May 2022, 00:41

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AussieAviator
Bring it on, I say!
Be careful what you wish for. It might be good for the Alliance group (I don't know what it's currently like there) if it goes ahead but don't expect it to be all rainbows and unicorns.
Old 5th May 2022, 00:49

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
More like pineapples and sand.
Old 5th May 2022, 00:51

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts
Bring it on, I say!
send me your address, and I’ll forward my hat 👍🏻
Old 5th May 2022, 00:53

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts
How likley is this to get past the ACCC anytime soon, if at all?
Didn't it take about 3 years to give the nod to just a 20% holding in AQZ?
Old 5th May 2022, 01:02

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hotnhigh
More like pineapples and sand.
Ouch
Old 5th May 2022, 01:20

Received 294 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Lapon
How likley is this to get past the ACCC anytime soon, if at all?
Didn't it take about 3 years to give the nod to just a 20% holding in AQZ?
Depends how convincing Virgin’s argument is. They put forward a strong case against the QF/Japan tie up which got rejected (and rightly so), with the regulator citing many reasons VA raised.

Old 5th May 2022, 01:25

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AussieAviator
I did!! As soon as the ACCC dropped the opposition to Qantas buying us, I knew that the Irishman would make a offer ASAP. From our flight planning procedures to normal operating procedures, Qantas has been creeping in, and I guess that we will have to wear the QF uniform, just like most of the FA's already do. Bring it on, I say!
https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/ap...df02a206a39ff4

Careful what you wish for buddy. I hope you like base closures and forced transfers because thats exactly what will be happening once QF management start to rejig.
Old 5th May 2022, 01:58

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Wonder what this means for Network?

It would seem that with Alliance being so much more involved on a national scale with FIFO work, including a huge presence out west, that keeping Network and it’s old F100s and hand me down Buses is pointless?
Old 5th May 2022, 02:01

Received 652 Likes on 181 Posts
Don’t alliance have several EBs to negotiate too?

Or will there be one pineapple to unite them all?
Old 5th May 2022, 02:16

Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
Depends how convincing Virgin’s argument is. They put forward a strong case against the QF/Japan tie up which got rejected (and rightly so), with the regulator citing many reasons VA raised.
I suspect the Alliance customers at the big end of FIFO town might have in interest in seeing a torpedo in this too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.